7Dec2022 - crlazlo meanderings 2 is now 2.1 - I will continue to use it as a preview/workspace for my FB posts, but I will also start organizing the many photos from my retirement years, and also start a journal/memories thing. That's the plan anyway.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

I'm really excited about Chuck the box-maker Part 2. When I was on Lopez Island, besides the street fair circuit during the nice weather months, I had a routine of going over to Bellingham every Friday. I would take my boxes up to the W Wash U campus and rent a table outside the Student Union bldg ($1). I often sold 4 or 5 boxes, priced between 5 and 20 dollars. Mostly the less expensive ones. I would then take my remaining inventory down to "Gallery West" in Fairhaven, and the owner at the time, Dave, would often buy what was left. I have fond memories of negotiating prices with Dave, and how he would double the amount, and put the price tag on the box right there :) I would then go to a store in North B'ham that carried some nice hardwoods and buy some wood. After that, I would treat myself to a meal at a restaurant. Then off to hitch hike back to Anacortez and my ferry ride back to Lopez. The second year I spent up there, my brother JR left his motorbike on the island, and I loaded up a back pack and rode up to B'ham along the coast and beautiful Chuckanut Drive.
One big difference between then and now is that I'm not creating these pieces to pay the rent and buy food. These are for me, for fun, etc. :)
This is Box #2. The dimensions are approximately 2"x3"x1".





No comments:

Post a Comment