7Dec2022 - crlazlo meanderings 2 is now 2.1 - I will continue to use it as a preview/workspace for my FB posts, but I will also start organizing the many photos from my retirement years, and also start a journal/memories thing. That's the plan anyway.

Sunday, December 26, 2021

Typhoon... Part 3

day four? the morning of day #5? Monday morning 20 Dec


WATER - Our #1 goal today

we're planning on cleaning up the apt

We only have the five liter bottle of water left


I just made my second cup of instant coffee with powdered creamer and a little bit of the cabbie "side job" organic instant coffee (* another fun story, for another day)


thinking we'll wash some dishes and then use the same dishwater for the toilet. The toilet smells like a mixture of my memories from Vietnam when the shit burning detail came around, 

and out-houses I've used over the years

being from a more successful country, this is more of a novelty?

something you used in the more established campground on your on your "hiking" weekends


Inday's guess for how long this no-elec no-water lasts is two weeks

Wow! 



I read chap 3 of John Sandford's book "Neon Prey" last night. Just long enough to hear Inday's quiet breathing of sleep, and my eyes got tired

 

I haven't been using my glasses very much here

except for editing photos

which I haven't done for the past few days because I wanted to conserve the computers, and phones batteries


(* more information than you may want to see/read alert)


my hernia situation happened about a week and a half ago

right about the time I posted a comment about Cebu's increased number of buses (* a result of Covid, and social distancing being difficult in Jeepneys...)

I liked it, the buses - more space, bigger windows, some AC, some with music, and only 3-5 pesos more per ride

one thing I noted though was the absence of good shock absorbers and/or springs

we would go over a speed bump in IT Park for example, and it would jar your whole body. In fact, I think my hernia happened with one of those speed bumps. I came back down so hard that I felt it travel all the way up my spinal cord - like a lightning bolt

not long after that while we were walking around Ayala's new "Bloc" mall, I felt the pain

so much that we stopped in at a Watson's pharmacy where I bought 2 Tylenol pills!



Foreigner in front of me at the Robinson grocery yesterday. He saw a guy with a loaf of bread and looked at me. I said "go for it...I'll watch your stuff"

he left is 4-pack of Gatorade on the floor between us, and rushed off...

he came back empty handed :(


Inday and I have a half loaf left - rationing to 2 slices a day

speaking of bread, we got a small bag of freshly baked "elorde"? rolls last night (*sort of like mini "Butterflake" rolls, ones we used to bake at Gais/Franz Bakery)

people were lined up as the bunches came out of their little oven, and people bought them

the price went up from p5 per piece to p6

really yummy!

instead of bread in the morning, I had two and a half of those with my cold instant coffee



one of my tooth crowns fell/came off last night

Inday said "oh no, you're falling apart", and we laughed

sprained left wrist, hernia, tooth crown falling out...

well, I am 76 years old haha

(* - inspite of this, I feel good. I'm a happy camper!)



Daylight has become more and more important to me. I just pulled out my wood carving supplies. I'm excited! I boldly threw out the #16 and #11 knife blades  already attached to my Xacto knife handles. I usually use them until the sharpness and cutting becomes a challenge

I'm cheap

I prefer the word frugal

anyway, since I'm excited about this activity, I'm going with fresh brand new blades. Also, this teak wood box is special. Number 1, the wood is from one of the boxes I made on Lopez island in the San Juans. It was a clunky fat box that I blocked out with a router-cut top lid sitting on top. It didn't sell, so I adopted it for my own. I ended up cutting thinner slices of wood off for several smaller boxes. This is one box I put together in our "Shag" apartment in Bothell earlier in 2021. The inside part of the box was made out of some pine I think, or some lathe wood I had, and my main tools were a small Japanese pull saw, some wood glue, and rubber bands for the clamping...

necessity is the mother of invention

No comments:

Post a Comment